Trump approves sending 1,500 more troops to Middle East
United States President Donald Trump has approved the deployment of 1,500 additional American troops to the Middle East
President Donald Trump has approved the deployment of 1,500 additional troops to the Middle East, U.S. media said Friday.
The purpose of the deployment is to increase the protection of forces already in the region.
The deployment comes amid rising tensions between the U.S. and Iran. Earlier this month, the U.S. sent a carrier strike group and bomber taskforce to the Middle East, citing a "credible threat" from Tehran.
The news comes after acting U.S. Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan denied earlier reports that the Trump administration was planning to send as many as 10,000 troops to the region. Shanahan, however, said that sending additional troops was an option they were considering.